In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in Zimbabwe, at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
The Council is looking for an accomplished administrator with knowledge and experience in Library and Information Systems (LIS). Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the position S strategic to the attainment of the University’s mission and goals. As a pivotal member of the University’s Senior Management team, the incumbent will be responsible for initiating, recommending, implementing and monitoring policies, systems and procedures dealing with classical and contemporary best practices in administration and safeguarding of the Libraries of the University. The post will be offered on a performance based contract of four (4)years.
The candidate will bring a combination of expertise and experience from both the academic discipline and library and information sciences. The successful candidate should demonstrate the following key competencies:
1. Strategic thinking skills and transformational leadership in order to drive at century library and Information Services (L IS) portfolio;
2. Policy formulation skills in order to recommend policies consistent with Open and Distance Electronic Learning best practices in the relevant portfolio;
3. Ability to create a Library and Information Services portfolio that enhances quality robust research, teaching and learning;
4. Ability to promote on- teaching and learning;
5. Ability to create an Institutional Repository and research visibility that contributes to the postive ranking of the University Zimbabwe and on the African continent; and
6. Ability to mobilize resources for the Library particular and the University in general.
1. Developing effective management of the library and information systems of the University;
2. Developing g and managing collections of books arid journals (both paper and electronic) as well as websites;
3. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with academic staff, students; as well as external bodies;
4. Developing and executing LIS automation plans, web page development and creation of subject gateways relevant in today’s Information Age;
5. Ensuring the effective and efficient acquisition of a meaningful collection of prink electronic, CD-ROM and audio-visual materials;
6. Keeping up to date with developments in the L library sector and participating in professional groups or networks;
7. Ensuring that critical links are established with Academic staff and No Meeting staff, Regional Directors, subject Tutors and other University stakeholders;
8. Effective supervision of staff and resources in all University Libraries; and
9. Performing any other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor.
10. Qualifications and Experience
The University is looking for inspired Librarian with the following qualifications and experience;
1. A minimum qualification of a Master of Science Degree in Library and Information Sciences or any other equivalent and related qualification in Library and Information Sciences;
2. Proven IT skills particularly of library systems, Internet operations and the development of web pages and other innovations.
3. Knowledge of key trends in library science, including the ability to evaluate emerging technologies;
4. A minimum of five (5) years relevant post qualification managerial experience in Library and Information Services in a University;
5. Experience in an ODeL institution is an added advantage; and
6. Evidence of research in relevant disciplines will be an added advantage.
Other Jobs Listed by the Company
ZOU - is looking for REGISTRARHarare, Zimbabwe 28 Feb, 2019
ZOU - Zimbabwe Open University - is looking for Information Technologistzimbabwe 25 May, 2020
ZOU - is looking for INFORMATION TECHNOLOGISTzimbabwe 10 Jun, 2020