In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in , at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
Private Sector Strengthening (FP/RH) Consultant
Private Sector Strengthening (FP/RH) Consultant
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it's global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
With support from the Government of Mozambique and international donors such as the Royal Netherlands Embassy, FCDO, USAID, CIFF, and other private foundations, PSI has worked in Mozambique since 1995. We have implemented social marketing and behavior change communications to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across various health areas, including sexual reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, WASH, and cervical cancer. In Mozambique, PSI manages the largest non-state network of family planning clinics supported by three donors; manages the leading condom and water treatment solution brands with outsourced sales and distribution through a $100 million annual private sector distributor, applies adaptive learning approaches to develop new approaches, markets and technologies across innovative adolescent family planning, private sector PHC/SRH provision, and cervical cancer projects - all powered by a data-driven culture leveraging a range of digital and evidence platforms. PSI/Mozambique differentiates itself by implementing innovative learning programs that inform and scale PSI's programming, as well as national policy. The program is among PSI's top CYP performers, has an annual budget of over $13 million, four offices in-country, and 200 staff.
Partner with us!
The Private Sector Strengthening Consultant will work under direct supervision of the PSI Mozambique Director of Programs and with close collaboration with PSI Mozambique's programs, technical, marketing, and evidence teams. During this specific project, the consultant will focus on prioritizing and actioning recommendations to strengthen the private sector's contribution to FP/RH service provision based on an extensive market landscaping and in dialogue with key national stakeholders. The consultant will be responsible for coordinating with the PSI team, the MOH (MISAU), donor, multilateral organizations and external partners to formulate the recommendations.
Mozambique has made significant progress increasing access to voluntary family planning (FP). From 2011 to 2015, the modern contraceptive prevalence rate increased from 11.3% to 25.3%. However, over half of women aged 15-49 in middle- and low-income groups have unmet need for FP services in both rural and urban areas. Furthermore, the modern method mix remains skewed toward short-acting methods. While the private sector offers an alternative in urban areas, supplying 16.1% of WRA using modern contraceptive methods in 2011, the private sector operates in a fragmented fashion, with sparse availability of official information on services offered, volume of services, and quality.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded MOMENTUM Private Healthcare Delivery (MPHD) project, led by PSI, harnesses the potential of the private sector to expand access to and use of high-quality, evidence-based maternal, newborn, and child health services, FP, and reproductive health care. The project collaborates with governments, local organizations, communities, and private providers in all their formsâincluding private clinics, faith-based clinics, pharmacies, and drug shopsâto generate market-based solutions that drive scale in service delivery and long-term sustainability of health coverage and outcomes. In Mozambique, MPHD is working with USAID/Mozambique and key local stakeholders to expand availability of high-quality FP and related primary health care (PHC) services in the local private health sector.
In 2020, with support from USAID's Support for International Family Planning and Health Organizations 2 (SIFPO2) project, PSI Mozambique contracted a global market research specialist, Ipsos, to map out both registered and unregistered private providers in the key urban centers of Maputo, Matola, and Nampula. The research also conducted extensive provider and consumer interviews on FP and PHC service offerings and perceptions of care in these locations. The result was a private sector assessment that found that despite its small size, the private sector has been effective overall in responding to consumer needs by offering a range of services based on consumer demand as a complement to public sector provision. The research findings, the key market challenges and opportunities, and the recommendations for interventions outlined in the final report are the starting point for the activities proposed under this consultancy.
The primary objectives of the consultancy are:
- Ensure timely, effective and high-quality implementation of workplan activities related to prioritizing FP-related recommendations and designing prototype interventions in close collaboration with key local health market actors
- Build the capacity of PSI Mozambique staff and select partners in private health sector strengthening and effective public-private engagement
PSI Mozambique expects to engage a human-centered design (HCD) consultant who can support this consultancy with prototype design process guidance.
Sound like you? Read on.**Qualifications**
- Deliver a detailed workplan for the stakeholder engagement, consultation, prioritization, and prototype development phases
- Map potential private sector partners by making use of the data and information gathered as part of the assessment
- Provide evidence/examples of how interventions have helped strengthen markets in similar country context or address similar market failures
- Co-design the consultation and engagement process with MISAU, USAID, multilateral partners, bilateral donors, private sector actors and NGO partners, including the SPEED+ project
- Build capacity of PSI Mozambique staff to understand the fundamentals of private health sector strengthening in the context of the assessment
Local stakeholder orientation to the assessment
- Co-design and lead/facilitate stakeholder workshops with various stakeholders to facilitate a common understanding of the private sector health market assessment
- Build consensus to prioritize private sector market strengthening opportunities, and deliver recommendations about who (government, manufacturer, importer, distributor, clinic, pharmacy, financial institutions, NGOs, etc.) has the capacity to finance and implement recommendations
Prioritizing service delivery recommendations and building interventions
- Hold consultation(s) to prioritize FP service-related recommendations from the private sector assessment
- Co-design service delivery models in line with the priorities identified, with support from the HCD Consultant
- Build low-cost prototypes for FP service delivery models and receive feedback from users and providers through an HCD approach, with support from the HCD Consultant
- Ensure prototype intervention designs are finalized and implementation plans are articulated
What are we looking for?
The consultant should have strong quantitative, qualitative, and analytical abilities with a passion for the private sector's potential to strengthen national health markets. We'd like to see someone with experience leading similar engagements in comparable markets. Demonstrated ability to engage with a diverse team, while delivering well thought though, detailed recommendations. A strong communicator, verbally, in writing and visually, that can simplify complex ideas into compelling summaries.
Minimum Requirements for Recruited Consultant:
- 15 years' experience engaged with public health policy/programming, preferably with a strong integration of private and public sector markets
- Must have documented experience in facilitating consultations with a range of local private sector stakeholders
- Substantial experience in and knowledge of Mozambique's health sector strongly preferred
- Portuguese language skills strongly preferred
- Able to travel to Mozambique in late 2021, contingent on status of Mozambique's international border
- Detailed workplan outlining process and timing of implementation
- Planning and facilitation of consultative workshops
- Regular updates to USAID/Mozambique and other partners as needed
- Finalized prototype designs for launch by PSI Mozambique
- Slide decks or other reference materials for further capacity building of PSI Mozambique staff in private health sector strengthening
- At least one trip and accompanying trip report
Work is expected to start 1 September 2021 and be completed by 31 December 2021. The exact start and end date are dependent on availability of local stakeholders.
To be considered, interested candidates or firms should submit the following documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31st, 2021.
- A proposed methodology or work plan
- CV or portfolio describing relevant experience
- References from at least three previous clients or employers
- Cost proposal to complete the planned work
To apply click HERE