In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in Zimbabwe, at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
Research and Advocacy Unit
Our organisational culture is open and participatory and relies heavily on teamwork, requiring that each person know their role and how this feeds into the overall organisational goals. The Board is looking for a leader who:
• will attract and retain competent human resources through mentoring and staff development;
• is able to develop effective and relevant research, communications and advocacy strategies that enhance the organsaition’s visibility by finding more effective ways to influence public policy; and
• will help secure a more stable funding base for the organisation.
With respect to the latter the Director will be expected over time to help the organisation take a more strategic approach to programmatic decisions, in particular by instituting an effective monitoring, evaluation and learning system (ME&L) for the organisation. In order to accomplish this objective, the organisation will need to move from its over-reliance on donor grant funding for individual projects to expanding income derived from contracts for organisational services or products.
The Director reports to the Board of Trustees. S/he is the external principle representative of the organisation, including legal representation; communication of the vision, strategy, objectives and programmes, and organisational fund-raising. Internally, the incumbent is responsibilities for all aspects of leadership, including strategic planning, resource management, inspiring teamwork and mentoring. S/he oversees management of operations, finances, human resources and physical assets of a small, but complex organisation.
Other responsibilities include:
• Leads all strategic and work planning for the organisation, recommends programme objectives, targets, and budget to the Board, while ensuring the application of learning to make programmatic changes as informed by research, monitoring, evaluation or feedback from clients and stakeholders;
• Recommends programme targets to Board and overseas programme performance by monitoring and evaluating activities against performance targets and in relation to the organisation’s advocacy and policy goals;
• Provides overall guidance and policy direction to programme activities and organisational operations, certifying that implementation of projects and activities align with the approved strategy and funding agreements;
• Creates and maintains partnerships with the public sector, civil society, implementing partners, donors, and other stakeholders in order to inform and influence public policy and citizen involvement;
• Networks with local, regional and international partners and stakeholders to build alliances and shared agenda or work;
• Raises funds and develops marketing plans that brand the organisational products and build its reputation.
Competencies and Skills
The successful candidate for Director must:
• be hard-working and able to solve problems creatively as well as manage a team that is diverse and self-directed once guidelines and expectations have been provided;
• have excellent inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, including the ability to hold oneself accountable and admit mistakes;
• possess outstanding writing skills, including the ability to critique written products, review/write funding proposals, and produce decision documents for the Board;
• who can ensure that projects and activities are implemented timeously in accordance with the grant and contractual agreements; and
• use highly-developed collaborative skills to build coalitions and consensus, forge traditional and non-traditional alliances and partnerships, and influence others.
Education and Experience
• An advanced academic degree, preferably in social sciences or law; however, in exceptional circumstances significant relevant experience can be considered in lieu of the advanced degree;
• Knowledge of development and democracy and key issues, especially those related to gender and youth;
• Proficiency in internal controls and financial management systems;
• Fluency in English and at least one local language is required; additional language proficiency is preferred;
• Ten years work experience in research, communication, advocacy, public policy, of which at least half must be in non-governmental organisations with responsibilities that included programme planning and management;
• Preference will be given to candidates who already possess experience leading a small organisation.
Most work occurs in an office environment and a flexible work schedule is negotiable. Occasional fieldwork is required that may entail unusual working hours or conditions.
Will be discussed with short-listed applicants.
Other Jobs Listed by the Company
Raubex (Pty) Ltd - is looking for Multiple VacanciesZimbabwe 6 Oct, 2019
Hrauh - is looking for NurseDubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) 2 Apr, 2020
TAJ Hydraulics - is looking for Workshop TechnicianZimbabwe 14 May, 2020