Do not short-change yourself,get your Curriculum Vitae done by the Professionals,email:firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp on +263 785 635 566
In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in Zimbabwe, at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
Programme Policy Officer
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
VAM is in urgent need to expand its capacity to enable the unit to provide timely and quality response to rapidly growing program needs. The CO activities have been expanding substantially as a result of the increased food insecurity caused by combined impacts of disparate natural shocks and heightened economic volatility leading to a permanent status of market instability.
The urgent need for surge capacity is triggered by the mounting expectations and demand for VAM to provide regular and updated evidence based information packages to guide programme decisions.
WFP seeking to recruit a Programme Policy Officer/ VAM Officer (SC8/NOA) with advanced data analysis and report writing skills to focus mainly on interrogation of data from various sources, especially markets information products, including frequent update of the markets dash board as well as to triangulate and cross tabulate with ZIMVAC and other sources. The dashboard is a management tool which provide online up to date information useful for decision making.
The main responsibilities of the Officer is to work closely with the already existing VAM staff in the unit, executing the following key responsibilities
- Assist with interrogating available data and suggesting in-house complementary analysis of available data collected from a range of sources using the most up to date relevant statistical techniques to model and interpret large datasets.
- Review data analysis used for key research projects undertaken by WFP/partners.
- Ensure appropriate storage of data in the most efficient and user-friendly way.
- Provide data analysis products necessary to respond to demand by programme activities and senior management.
- Provide support in interpreting data to aid decision making, using the most appropriate techniques and methodologies.
- Integrate and facilitate interpretation of market data within the wide range of livelihood information and macro factors.
- Undertake innovative, user friendly data presentation platforms that utilise the latest technology in helping to make key findings from analysis accessible and easily understood
- Support GIS mapping and spatial analysis as required.
- Check, clean and organise survey datasets for errors, completeness and standardisation of data storage.
- Create a comprehensive database for food security and markets monitoring.
- Conduct all database updates and maintenance
- Other as required.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher)||Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.)||Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government||Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.|
Provides well prepared, analytical work, manages projects with focus on food security and vulnerability issues; Provides effective technical support in conducting assessments, food security monitoring, targets and adjusts food aid requirements, maintains databases, automate processes; builds effective collaboration with other WFP offices as well as colleagues outside WFP; supports and guides Professional staff on food security and vulnerability data and guides and/or supervises General Service staff.
Education: Advanced university degree in sociology, economics, agriculture, geography, Information Systems, computer science, nutrition, rural development and or similar relevant discipline.
Experience: At least six years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in food security, vulnerability analysis or a closely related area, such as food security or early warning. At least one year of proven experience of using integrated high-end statistical analysis and GIS to generate high quality information and decision-support products on food and nutrition security, livelihood, resilience, HIV-AIDS etc., in a large busy analytical environment, is a strong advantage.
Knowledge & Skills: Advanced knowledge of markets dynamics and their impact on food security, geographic information systems (GIS), statistical analysis software packages. Experience in early warning and remote sensing and familiarity with ArcGIS, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst and Geospatial Analyst. Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative survey techniques. Experience in the design and implementation of food aid programmes. Experience in remote sensing interpretation and analysis, NDVI, CCD.
Languages: Fluency in written and oral English and a local language (Shona/Ndebele)
- At least 6 years of progressive professional experience in commerce, development, administration or food aid support.
- Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
- Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
Opening Date: 17 October 2019
To access the latest job opportunities on WhatsApp, send a WhatsApp message with the word JOBS to +263718636522 to check this and other job postings
Other Jobs Listed by the Company