In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job promises. We take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI)
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Resident Director with excellent management skills and extensive experience in providing assistance to civil society groups and governments, particularly related to electoral reforms in post-election environments, to oversee the implementation of its democracy and governance programs in Zimbabwe.
The Resident Director will oversee and direct the day-to-day implementation and management of NDI’s program in Zimbabwe. The Resident Director will also oversee all aspects of programmatic, staff, and office management, including implementation of program activities, managing grants, providing leadership to a team of Zimbabwean staff, and ensuring compliance with NDI and USAID procurement and financial policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate should have at least 14 years of experience working in the field of democracy and governance, particularly in challenging political environments. The position is based in Harare, Zimbabwe and will require travel within the country. The Resident Director will serve as principal NDI liaison with political and civic leaders, program partners, donors, and representatives of the international community. A high degree of professional judgment, political analysis and objectivity, creativity and maturity are essential to the successful leadership of NDI in Zimbabwe. This position works closely with Washington-based management who provide overall strategic guidance and support for field activities. The Resident Director reports to the DC-based Regional and Deputy Directors for Southern and East Africa.
NDI has conducted programs in Zimbabwe since 1998, beginning with support for electoral reform and dialogue between government and opposition political parties. Since 2002, NDI has provided assistance to civic groups monitoring elections and advocating for political and electoral reform, to advance the rule of law and protection of human rights. Currently, the Institute is supporting civil society efforts to assess ongoing developments in the post-election environment, including by-election observation, and promote electoral reform, as well as supporting public opinion research on perceptions regarding the electoral process.
- Provide day-to-day management of program activities and office administration, and oversight and evaluation of Zimbabwean program staff
- Serve as a resource for civil society leaders in response to their specific questions and requests for assistance
- Monitor programs to determine that programmatic goals are achieved and that operational and reporting requirements are adhered to
- Adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders
- Work in tandem with the Finance and Administrative Manager to oversee the NDI Zimbabwe budget, financial management and the submission of monthly program activity budgets and financial reconciliations to the Washington, DC, office. Make programmatic adjustments as necessary throughout the implementation cycle to avoid budget overruns
- Ensure program compliance with donor requirements with regards to work plans and performance monitoring plans, and respect of procedures to ensure the integrity of all financial transactions External Relations
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with Zimbabwean political leaders, partners, government officials and members of the international, diplomatic, and donor community
- Serve as principal liaison between NDI and international donor representatives in country, Zimbabwean officials, international and local NGOs, the media, and the U.S. government representatives
- Serve as NDI’s representative at speaking engagements and at donor-related activities
- Develop fundraising strategies with donors to help raise additional funds in coordination with the NDI Washington staff Internal Communication and Staff Development
- Oversee the writing and timely submission of bi-weekly program activity reports, quarterly reports, monitoring and evaluation data, periodic updates on political/security developments, and other program related materials
- Collaborate with and build the capacity of NDI Zimbabwean staff to play a substantive role in program development and implementation
- Bachelor’s degree, in international relations or related subject. Graduate degree is preferred. Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years program management experience overseeing international development programs, preferably in the field of democracy and governance, and at least five in a senior leadership role
- Substantial work experience in multiple disciplines of democracy development, including elections knowledge (required), and civic education, civic engagement and/or civil society development (desired), preferably in Africa
- Substantial experience overseeing and implementing programs, managing staff,and ensuring compliance with financial regulations, and operations and human resources, including experience in overseeing sub-grants to local partners
- Experience with managing USAID funding projects
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and build relationships with senior political and civic leaders, U.S. and foreign government personnel and policy makers, and members of donor organizations
- Substantial program design and management, proposal writing and financial management experience, including experience in initiating and managing sub-grants preferred
- Ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of professionals in a challenging environment, instilling a strong sense of mission and team work to program implementation
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor and consultant
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to programmatic activities
- Knowledge of political processes and actors of Zimbabwe preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required to effectively present information, respond to questions and negotiate outcomes
- Excellent organizational, networking and managerial skills, as well as the ability to conduct professional political relationships
- Experience working in the developing world, and an ability to work in a highly challenging and stressful environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Excel and Powerpoint, Google products, social media, use of Internet
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations which may be remote and difficult to reach
This unaccompanied post is based in Harare, Zimbabwe, with travel throughout Zimbabwe.
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. A generous benefits package is provided.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.