Overall Job Function
The position of Finance Assistant reports to the Finance Officer. The Finance Assistant is responsible for providing finance support to the Finance Officer and Finance Manager within the department. He/she is responsible for payments and clerical accounting/finance duties and ensures files are complete and maintained as needed. He/she is also responsible for travel advance requests and conducting monthly reconciliations of staff accounts to ensure full acquittals of all travel advances in in accordance with Donor and Columbia University rules, regulations and guidelines.
This is a grant funded contract which may or may not be renewed depending on need.
· Verifies Purchase Requisitions, Quotations, Comparative Bid Analysis, Purchase Orders and Invoices before approval by the Director of Finance and Administration and ensures payments are processed under the applicable regulations.
· Prepares payment vouchers ensuring that all payments are up to date in keeping with the standard operating procedures.
· Follows up any payment queries or delays.
· Files payment vouchers with all supporting documentation to ensure a proper audit trail.
· Receipt all deposits
· Request additional information from the field through the Finance Officer as needed,
· Retrieving payment vouchers for auditors, finance team and other third parties upon request
· Ensure compliance with organizational policies as well as various donor rules and regulations
· Ensure staff clears previous advances in full before receiving new ones.
· Maintains financial records and a robust filing system for ease of document retrieval,
· Assist the Finance Department in the preparation of audit files.
· Support the Finance Officer with other relevant duties as work volumes dictate.
· A Diploma/Degree in Accounting /Finance
Preferred Experience and Other Skills
· Knowledge of and proven experience in working with donor regulations.
· Meticulous with figures- attention to detail;
· Honesty and integrity
· Ability to work under intense pressure with minimal supervision,
· Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing,
· Ability to teamwork and multitask,
· Proficiency in usual desktop software (MS Word, Excel, Outlook) a requisite.
· 2 years of work experience in a similar position;